Associate, Project Delivery - Washington, DC
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Data, Informatics and Analytical Solutions Practice (DIAS) in Palladium is currently seeking an Associate, Project Delivery to support implementation of the Translating Data for Implementation (Data.FI) award. Data.FI is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Data.FI partners with PEPFAR programs to accelerate and sustain access to high-quality data to expedite HIV epidemic control and maintenance. Data.FI supports host country governments to enhance existing health information systems (HIS) and conduct in-depth analysis of HIV epidemiologic and program data to inform management responses to gaps in HIV and AIDS programming and sustain impact by supporting local partner transition.
For assigned projects, the Associate, Project Delivery serves as part of the Project Management Unit. This team is responsible under the leadership of Practice Area Lead and the management of the Director, Project Delivery, for the management and delivery of projects for the management and delivery of projects. The specific purpose of the position is to support the management of effective and efficient financial and compliance activities to deliver projects in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies and client rules and regulations.
The Associate, Project Delivery, is a valued member of the team completing a variety of substantive and administrative tasks that are critical to high-quality project management. Initially focused on learning the basics of project management, this role works closely with the Manager, Project Delivery to be trained in these duties and best practices in project delivery. Over time, the associate should apply that learning to complete tasks independently and build competencies and skills in preparation to take on manager-level roles in project delivery or other functional areas of Palladium's business.
Contract and Client Relationship Management
- Support project start-up and closeout;
- Serve as a liaison between the project and the Project Excellence & Compliance Hub;
- Contribute to the preparation and maintenance of project specific components of the project management manual;
- Learn and contribute to training of project staff on company policies, SOPs and Guidelines and client rules and regulations (covering for example: security, occupational health and safety, risk management, planning, human resource management, monitoring, reporting, finance, procurement, logistics, IT, communications, audit support and all other such implementation matters);
- Participate in the development, review, and tracking of progress against project work plans;
- Support the development and presentation of internal and external reporting, (quarterly Internal Project Reviews (IPRs), project risk assessments, annual reviews, and client deliverables) and ensure these outputs are fit for purpose;
- Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, and updated in the issues and risk portal (aka register) and escalate risks and issues to corporate/project leadership, as required;
- Learn to review procurements, budgets, reports, and other documents to ensure compliance with relevant policies and procedures; may conduct spot checks on processes and internal controls including reviewing asset management procedures and updated asset registers for each project, as assigned;
- Support development of project subcontractor and grants management procedures compliant with both internal policies and procedures, and client rules and regulations;
- Assist with internal PMU administration, including drafting weekly meeting agendas, tracking tasks, maintaining calendars and deadline reminders;
- Work towards anticipating project needs and providing compliant, flexible recommendations on processes, or assigned responsibilities, such as suggesting adequate timelines for reviews and coordination between HQ and field offices, proactively handling PMU administrative tasks, etc.;
- Contribute to technical assistance through reviews, engaging in work planning and discussions with the field team, etc. to build skills with the goal of taking on a more senior role, such as manager, project delivery or a functional area.
- Support the monitoring and maintenance of compliance with head/prime contracts;
- Manage and supports contract amendments as required;
- Provide inputs and support to other PMU members on any client communication or reporting needs;
- Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders.
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
- Support establishing project account codes, ensuring they are fit for purpose and meet client's and project's requirements for cost allocation, monitoring and evaluation, and client reporting;
- May work with Treasury to assist with project bank accounts set-up including getting any appropriate company or project signatories;
- Support ensuring the project financial calendar is adhered to;
- Support monitoring expenditure against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements; reconciles & reports on all advances monthly;
- Assist with project financial and cash-flow planning, processes monthly Funds Transfer Requests (FTRs) and payments for assigned projects;
- Review cashbooks / field vouchers and ensure supporting documentation is complete;
- Help coordinate service providers and processes work orders and invoices;
- Assist with internal financial reporting and tasks including accruals and reviewing client invoices.
- Support preparation of contract action requests (i.e., travel, personnel additions/changes, partner, grant, budget realignment, etc.);
- Support audit processes and ensures retention of project records is compliant with company policy.
Business Development / Other
- Coordinate input and support from HR for recruitment and contracting expatriate, TCN, and other key personnel as needed;
- Coordinate project staff recruitment and due diligence (i.e., posting job descriptions, due diligence, compliance spot checks, biodata verification, record retention, and contract preparation and on-boarding);
- Maintain project data on relevant systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants;
- Support the mobilization and demobilization of all international staff (short-term and long-term) including contracting, travel management, payments and induction.
The role reports to the Manager, Project Delivery. Reporting requirements include:
- Attendance at all regular management team meetings,
- Provision of regular updates to the line manager, including updates on Key Result Areas (KRAs) and any other material matters and/or areas of concern,
- Monthly submission of financials and forecasts, and contributions to Practice and corporate reporting;
- Other reporting as requested by the line manager.
The role carries a degree of autonomy with appropriate consultation. The role is required to:
- Analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager,
- Contribute to process improvement through innovative and cost effective proposals/ideas/suggestions.
RequirementsEssential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience on USAID cooperative agreements
- Works with respect and dignity for all colleagues and contributes to a cooperative team working environment.
- Internship, customer service, or prior experience in any business setting is helpful.
- Basic understanding of management including organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial reports.
- Sound problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to travel and work in developing countries for extended periods of time if needed.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team when required.
- Familiarity with PEPFAR-funded programs
- Language skills: French, Spanish, Arabic
- Experience in budgeting, and expense reporting
- Experience using project management and collaboration tools such as OneDrive, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Project, Yammer