Chief of Party, Afghanistan Data Demand and Use Project - Kabul, Afghanistan
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium seeks a Chief of Party (COP) to lead an anticipated five-year, USAID-funded project in Afghanistan intended to strengthen data use for increased efficient decision making. Such activities will benefit the Afghan Government, USAID Health Office, and other cooperating partners. Reporting to a Director in the Palladium Washington D.C. home office, the COP will be responsible for overall leadership and management of the project including meeting the project's technical objectives, managing financial resources, managing program staff, managing partnering agreements, establishing and maintaining good working relationships with host government officials and local partners, managing donor reporting, and ensuring high-quality service delivery. The COP will represent Palladium to USAID and other donor groups, Ministries, community organizations, and private sector organizations. S/he will provide overall strategic, technical, programmatic, financial, and management guidance and support for the overall project and activities.
This position is contingent upon USAID award and approval.
- Serve as the primary point of contact to USAID Contract Officer and Technical Representative
- Serve as the primary project representative with HQ, government officials, the private sector, local and international NGOs, implementing partners, and community members
- Manage project technical and administrative staff and work with the US-based country management support team to ensure responsive and efficient project operations
- Ensure that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met and that financial, operational, and reporting requirements of the donor are adhered to
- Provide analytical and evaluative techniques to identify, consider, and resolve issues or problems
- Master's degree in business administration, international finance, international development, health, or related field of study
- At least 10 years of experience in the technical and administrative management of large, multi-year donor funded projects with demonstrated increasing levels of leadership and management responsibility
- At least 5 years of experience in a Project Director or Chief of Party capacity
- Experience working in the Middle East or North Africa strongly preferred
- Experience in coordination and collaboration of stakeholders including government agencies, host country governments and counterparts, and international donor agencies
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation experience to high-level audiences, and publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically, ability to work within a culturally and linguistically diverse staff
- Ability to speak, read, and write English fluently; proficiency in Farsi or Pashto preferred