Chief of Party
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladum seeks a Chief of Party to be proposed as part of a US Agency for International Development-funded activity to provide services for the purpose of strengthening implementation of the Program Cycle throughout the Agency for the Bureau of Policy, Planning, and Learning (PPL) in Washington, DC. S/he will lead and manage a diverse team that will provide support and advisory services in strategic design, program planning, and program monitoring, evaluation and learning to develop and disseminate new and innovative tools and guidance, deliver trainings and workshops, support internal and external web-based knowledge management platforms, and place subject matter experts in USAID Missions and Washington Operating Units (OUs) to serve as change agents across the Agency.
- Ensure the effective and efficient performance of all aspects of the contract, including provision of contract oversight, maintaining acceptable standards of quality for all assigned tasks and expected deliverables, including overall responsibility for leading and coordinating all activities; all required reports; and for staff and subcontractor management;
- Serve as the main point of contact with USAID, frequently serving as a facilitator or co-facilitator of high-level discussions and fora among USAID staff and partners regarding learning and adaptive management;
- Support activities that create a best-practice business model for evidence-based program design, implementation, learning, and adapting to operationalize Agency priorities and achieve development outcomes, including through "setting the standard" of effective Program Cycle implementation;
- Oversee the effective and efficient support in the provision of technical and advisory services to:
- Build capacity in each component of the Program Cycle and across components of the Program Cycle in order to strengthen overall Agency technical expertise in strategic planning, project design, activity design, monitoring, evaluation, and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA), including through training.
- Facilitate and coordinate the sharing of examples from field and Washington OU Program Cycle implementation and synthesize as appropriate to facilitate peer-to-peer learning.
- Provide thought leadership on and support the testing of innovative techniques related to the Program Cycle, including in strategic planning, project and activity design, monitoring, evaluation, and CLA.
- Assist PPL to articulate and implement a change management strategy for further institutionalization of an integrated Program Cycle throughout the Agency.
- Develop techniques and tools to facilitate collaboration across OU offices, including techniques for using existing processes (such as portfolio reviews) to promote coordination across offices.
- Support development and implementation of Agency-wide learning agendas on various topics.
- Master's degree in international development, business management, strategic planning, organizational development or a relevant field
- At least 10-15 years of USAID project design, performance management, and/or implementation or relevant work experience required
- Management or leadership experience of large teams and complex programs required
- Proven ability to understand client needs, ensure customer satisfaction, and deliver appropriate solutions
- Experience with capacity building, facilitation, monitoring and evaluation and/or knowledge management
- Experience providing strategic design, program planning, and program management services
- Familiarity with USAID's Program Cycle, including Country and Regional Strategic Planning; Project Design &Implementation; Activity Design & Implementation; and Monitoring and Evaluation
- Understanding of USAID's Bureau of Policy, Planning and Learning and its role and function within the Agency
- Technical expertise in performance management metrics, including innovations in data collection and analysis desired
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills