Consultant, Post Program Review, DBS - Home-based/Samoa
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The objective of this consultancy assignment is to conduct a post program review of the Development Bank of Samoa's (DBS) pilot program - Inclusive Development Credit Facility for Women and Youth. The mandate of the DBS is to provide credit financing to viable and sustainable projects to stimulate economic growth and social enhancement. The Inclusive Development Credit Facility for Women and Youth ("the Program") was initiated by DBS to extend credit financing to the community, targeting unemployed women and youth who hadn't previously received any funding assistance from financial institutions or government.
The Program pilot was conducted across the whole of Savaii. The objectives of the Program included:
- Enabling access to credit finance for women and youth;
- Empowering women and youth in micro business development that will contribute to self-sustainability and economic growth;
- Increasing the number of women and youth supported by the banking sector and promote their usage of other financial services such as commercial banking, insurance, SNPF etc.,
- Enhancing inclusive engagement for business development support, entrepreneurship, self- sustainability, livelihood and harmony within communities.
- Support and contribute to the achievement of the Samoan Development Strategy's (SDS) overarching objectives.
The Consultant will determine the appropriate methodology to meet the purpose and objectives of the assignment. Recommendations must be based on sound quantitative (and qualitative) evidence and presented in a balanced and transparent way. The Consultant will work closely with DBS, specifically its Lending Division in Savaii, where the Program pilot was implemented. The Consultant is expected to spend up to one week in Savaii, conducting field work and meeting with groups of beneficiaries, who took out loans, to gather data on the impact of the financing on wealth and livelihoods. The total input time is 30 days.
The Consultant is tasked with undertaking a review of the Program, so as to inform the potential expansion of the Program to Upolu (main island of Samoa).
- Work closely with DBS, including its Lending Division in Savaii, while undertaking the assignment;
- Review the Program's documentation including its current policies and implementation process including criteria used in the formulation of the Program;
- Conduct a review of the Program with regards to the following review criteria:- Management; Design; Relevance and Appropriateness; Effectiveness and Efficiency; and Impact and Sustainability;
- Report findings and lessons learnt from the review to the DBS Management and the PSDP Project Approval Committee;
- Provide recommendations on improvements to the Program moving forward, particularly with regard to lending policies and potential partners; and
- Identify ways in which the Program can be monitored going forward
- Identify the particular barriers faced by women entrepreneurs, youth and other vulnerable groups and assess how the Program addressed these barriers using knowledge of GESI
To register your interest please provide the following before 1st November 2019:
- Hold post-graduate qualification in a relevant subject area - Finance, Banking, Project Management, Economics, Business Management
- Significant proven experience working in the financial sector or on financial sector projects - MSME or microfinance is advantageous
- Experience working in the Pacific region
- Proven experience undertaking financial sector reviews or evaluations
- Excellent analytical, writing and interpersonal skills
- Availability and competitiveness of daily rate
Please see full Terms of Reference by following the link under "Job Description URL" and download.
- Cover letter of up to 2 pages explaining how you meet the selection criteria above
- Daily rate
- CV of up to 4 pages
- Contact details of two referees