Deputy Chief of Party
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium seeks an experienced DCOP to lead the USAID-funded Health Finance and Governance (HFG) project. The mission of this $20 million 4-year project is to work with the Jordanian government and other stakeholders to strengthen health system advances in efficiency, capabilities, and governance supporting improved health status for the population of Jordan.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will support the Chief of Party (COP) and provide leadership to the project team. The DCOP will oversee institutional and individual capacity building approaches and activities, high-level strategic visioning, operationalizing plans with appropriate technical interventions, and work effectively with the government and the private sector. The DCOP will assist in leading coordination and collaboration efforts with a broad set of stakeholders, including the Ministry of Health, multi-lateral and international donors and local and international NGOs. The DCOP will act as COP when the COP is away and will interface with the donor and other stakeholders, representing Jordan HFG and Palladium. Primary responsibilities
- Lead development of project technical strategies; oversee and guide overall technical approaches and initiatives; ensure project is meeting project technical and M&E objectives, results (workplan, MEL, etc.) and reporting requirements.
- Assist in leading project communication; represent and promote project with USAID, MOH, partners, stakeholders.
- Ensure shared services and operations of project are functioning and compliant; support ops activities and staff; ensure security and well-being of staff and visitors; build capacity and morale of project team.
- Oversee, guide and provide leadership to the technical team; ensure the project technical areas are on target regarding results and deliverables;
- Ensure effective implementation of technical activities in health finance, governance, management, private sector, and policy;
- Assist the Chief of Party as liaison to USAID, the Ministry of Health, the High Health Council, local national organizations, and other partners and stakeholders.
- Interact and collaborate regularly with the government stakeholders relevant to governance and health finance - build political consensus around project strategies.
- Oversee the development of project technical reports and sharing successes and lessons learned through success stories, briefs, presentations, technical round tables, etc.
- Assist in overseeing and coordinating technical inputs from subcontract partners and ensure their activities are contributing to project progress towards goals and objectives.
- Coordinate the work of visiting technical staff and short term consultants.
- Engage and ensure collaborative and positive working relationship with the MOH and donors and ensure all activities are aligned with other projects and donor initiatives.
- Advanced degree in public health, business administration or a relevant field; doctorate degree or degree in medicine is a plus
- At least 10 years of substantive program implementation experience within the international health context;
- Over 8 years of experience directly supervising professional and support staff, quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables, and contract/grant management;
- Experience implementing complex and multi-faceted projects is required, with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- In-depth understanding of Jordan political, cultural, and social landscape;
- A proven track record of working effectively with the government of Jordan policymakers at various levels;
- Knowledge of USAID and other USG assistance policies and reporting requirements
- Ability to maintain positive and effective communication with the donor and other relevant stakeholders;
- Fluent in English with strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences
- USAID experience: Previous experience as a Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party/Senior Manager /Team Leader
- Capacity Builder: Experience in building institutional, local technical, management and leadership capacity
- Results Oriented: Knows how to design and successfully implement, monitor, and disseminate results, adapting as needed to achieve the greatest impact
- Collaborative manager: Able to motivate staff to perform effectively toward project objectives
- Health finance, economics, policy, governance and/or relevant health systems or decentralization experience