Director of Health and Technical Support - Madagascar
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and well-being of people around the world. Since 1971, we have assisted governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing, and evaluating programs in HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, population and family planning, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, and gender. Palladium has deep expertise in policy and advocacy, research and strategic information, health markets and private sector engagement, modeling and economic analysis, patient monitoring and management/HMIS, strategic consulting, and program management.
The upcoming award will be a 5-year USAID funded activity in response to the IMPACT RFI. USAID/Madagascar anticipates awarding one five-year contract to apply an integrated approach to sustainably increase the availability and accessibility of quality health products. The project is designed to use TMA to maximize the relative strengths of public, private, and commercial actors and focuses on products and services in the areas of family planning/reproductive health, maternal and child health and malaria. The aim is also to strengthen the capacity of the Government of Madagascar to manage supply of pharmaceuticals and health commodities; encourage the expansion of commercial actors into new markets; and support social marketing to increase demand for and coverage of essential health products.
Purpose of Position
The Director of Health and Technical Support is a full-time position for an upcoming award in Madagascar funded by USAID entitled Improving Market Partnerships and Access to Commodities Together (IMPACT).
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party- Operations (DCOP/OPS&TECH SERVICES)
Duration: 5 years
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
ResponsibilitiesThis Director position oversees the project?s technical support services, ensuring that all program implementation benefits from specialized technical expertise in a wide range of health and technical areas, including gender. The Director of Health and Technical Support will ensure that program implementation adheres to global and national standards in all health areas, including integration of appropriate gender strategies.
- Oversee the design and implementation of project activities ensuring that the technical approach is consistent with accepted theory and best practices;
- Represent project at national, regional, and global technical forums as required;
- Adapt and apply tools, national standards and guidelines and best practices to improve service delivery;
- Provide technical oversight and strengthen level of technical capacity within the organization to deliver integrated health services, including the capacity to replicate, sustain and bring to scale successful activities;
- Support the development and implementation of annual project work plans and budgets with the project leadership team;
- Monitor and report on project implementation, including a regular review of project activities against workplans, including drafting reports and follow-up correspondence
- Stay abreast of developments within key project health areas such as Maternal and Child Health (MCH), Infectious Diseases and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Manage a pool of short-term technical assistance specialists and regularly expand roster of subject-matter experts;
- Provide hands-on support to project partners and clearly articulating program purpose, strategy and anticipated outcomes;
- Support a healthy team spirit, including staff recognition, team building, and ensuring a values-based work environment;
- Coordinate and/or lead technical trainings for staff, grantees, and partners to build skills and attain higher levels of competency and understanding of current trends and best practices.
- Master's degree in social science, Public Health, Medical Degree or other appropriate related field
- At least 8 years of work experience with an international organization, US Government contracts preferred managing large-scale, donor-funded health programs;
- Technical expertise one or more health area relevant to the project and strong understanding of gender-based empowerment programming.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and managing technical experts to high level performance towards meeting deliverables, and ability to adapt to changing needs.
- Demonstrated superior management and supervisory skills in implementing social programs, with
- Demonstrated skills in effectively engaging and advising key stakeholders; including senior level staff in government agencies and civil society organizations, private sector, universities, media, and international donor agencies;
- Strategic thinker and strong leadership capabilities including organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Able to communicate effectively and excellent interpersonal skills to form effective working relationships at all levels;
- Ability to deal appropriately with sensitive issues and maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times;
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout Madagascar;
- Relationship building and negotiation skills;
- Results oriented and attention to detail;
- Proven experience in managing expenditures within budget.
- Fluency in English and Malagasy required;
- Malagasy candidates preferred.
1. Your Interest and experience that make you suitable for this position. Your experience as a leader of Programmatic Technical areas and approach to team building
2. Notice period from current employer
3. Possible start date
4. Current salary