Field Officer, Market Development Facility(MDF), Timor Leste
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Market Development Facility (MDF) is an Australian Government-funded initiative that utilises a market systems development approach to connect with private and public sectors players with the ability and leverage to trigger lasting systemic change and create broad-based, sustainable pro-poor growth. MDF can be scaled-up to support further market development activities in country and in additional countries as needed.
MDF is a multi-country facility, currently operating in five countries: Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Each country has its own country team on the ground, with a Core Leadership Team headed up by the Chief Executive Officer providing strategic, technical and managerial oversight across all MDF partner countries.
The purpose of this position is to support efforts to create additional employment and income opportunities in agribusiness, processing and rural distribution.
- Meeting with a wide variety of public and private stakeholders to understand how agricultural markets function.
- Assisting analysis of agricultural markets, particularly to identify opportunities for, or constraints to, economic growth.
- Working with MDF Business Advisers to develop innovative intervention ideas. This will include assessing the technical and economic feasibility of ideas or business plans from potential partner organisations.
- Communicating with potential partner organisations and assisting the negotiation of agreements with them.
- Developing good working relationships with partner organisations.
- Monitoring progress and results of interventions, particularly through field visits.
- Other activities as directed by Business Advisers, Country Director, or other representatives of Palladium.
For complete TORs click
- Work experience in agriculture and a good understanding of agricultural issues.
- Experience with fieldwork, research and data collection.
- An entrepreneurial attitude, and a strong interest in working with the private sector.
- A bachelor's degree in agriculture, economics, business, sociology, international development, research or related fields, or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent written and spoken Tetun language skills.
- Good written and spoken English language skills.
- Willingness to travel regularly and extensively within Timor-Leste.
Applications should include a response to the position requirements. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single document.
This position is open to Timor-Leste nationals. Salary is competitive and conditions are based on local labour standards. We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply.