Gender Specialist - Egypt
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium seeks a Gender Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded Trade Reform and Development in Egypt (TRADE) project. The project will aim to increase Egypt's exports and investments to improve the share of exports to GDP, increase the number of new exporters, and narrow the trade deficit. The project will have three primary objectives, each of which will be led by an assigned Component Lead: 1) Enhanced capacity of new and expanding export-ready enterprises to increase sales and reach new markets in selected sectors; 2) Strengthened public and private trade-support institutions that assist SMEs to compete in the international marketplace; and 3) Improved trade and investment policy, regulatory and institutional environment.
The Gender Specialist will work across the project to assure that gender issues are analysed throughout the project and interventions are designed to maximize women's economic empowerment and decision making, access to productive resources, and improve opportunities to increase household incomes.
Purpose of Position
The Gender Specialist will report to the project's Chief of Party and will work with all component leads and the Director of Monitoring and Evaluation.
Duration: 5 years
Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Provides technical and management leadership to the team on gender issues across the project.
- Works closely with the COP, DCOP and component leads to develop women's empowerment strategies and work plans for the project
- Ensures that gender is mainstreamed across the program, including training materials, monitoring, operations, policies and procedures, and design activities that target women and girls within the scope of the project
- Ensures close coordination and integration with other key project components and cross-cutting themes such as improving the capacity of women-owned SMEs, women in the export sector, improved business development services targeting women, and access to finance
- Facilitates gender trainings with program staff and program stakeholders
- Liaises with the regional governments and intergovernmental organizations, associations, stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors
- Designs and conducts project gender analysis with key findings and actionable recommendations, and integrate analysis results into a comprehensive gender integration plan
- Collaboratively implements a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Reviews and provides input to project work plans, with attention to gender dimensions of technical activities and operations, and discuss gender issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists
- Liaises with technical component leaders to ensure that gender considerations are assessed and accounted for
- Assists in the collection and analysis of sex-disaggregated data
- Incorporates gender considerations into the Performance Monitoring Plan, with an emphasis on designing indicators that will drive high-value project activities
- Writes project reports and prepares internal documentation as required
- Maintains active relationships with gender specialists and others in related organizations and programs in the region
- Maintains an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender issues related to project components
- Bachelor's Degree (Master's Degree is preferred) or higher in economics, social sciences, gender, international development, finance, business, or other related field.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- 6 or more years of experience effectively integrating gender considerations into programming.
- Skills in developing programming that enables the inclusion of women in business and specifically among small and medium enterprises.
- Expertise in mainstreaming gender and other marginalized communities in the local and national business environment.
- Skills and expertise in women's economic empowerment.
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender issues and gender integration processes and techniques
- Prior experience working on USAID programs preferred
- An understanding of monitoring and evaluation, including experience with effective gender indicators and data collection considerations
- Prior experience in export markets and trade facilitation highly desirable
- Strong leadership, program, organizational management and oral and written communication skills.
- Prior work in Egypt and/or the wider region is highly desirable.