HMIS Technical Lead- Health Informatics, Zambia
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium is bidding on an upcoming USAID proposal that will focus on strengthening the MOH and local partners to use strategic information for decision making. Monitoring and using strategic information is critical to provide high quality care and treatment regimens, ensure drug durability, track progress, and provide accurate reporting to both the NMOH and US Government.
PEPFAR has called for immediate, comprehensive and evidence-based action to turn the tide of global HIV/AIDS and one of the specific goals is to strengthen and expand Strategic Information (SI) activities. Objectives of this project are:
- Strengthen the capacity of the MOH to effectively manage strategic information systems;
- Develop an expanded and comprehensive health map platform;
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive Health Management Information System(HMIS);
- Improve data quality and applied data use within GOH data reporting chains
Purpose of Position
The HMIS Technical Lead will be responsible for the business database and administration, including querying of datasets, validation of data and reporting. This position will lead the project update of health information systems. Position is expected to lead the process to define the business and information requirements, resolve high-level business and information issues, coach the team in the development of software applications and determine how technology can be applied to meet the client?s needs. Working in partnership with the project?s technical lead, help manage the activities of the software development team, as well as facilitate meetings, write weekly status reports, create schedules and any other project planning tools.
Location:Zambia? must maintain in country
- Based on expert knowledge, make recommendations for improvements to systems based on user feedback and best software practices
- Define the hardware and infrastructure setup both at the level and at client level for effective data access and use
- Come up with strategies to popularize the use and utility of health informatics
- Work in collaboration with the Senior Data Use Advisor to analyze data and comply with reporting and project requirements; ensure health informatics meet donor and national standards
- Provides technical advice to senior management on how to improve data quality through the use of improved standards
- Advise key stakeholders on IT policies, procedures and standards; interpret and disseminate policies, standards and guidelines when indicated
- Manage the selection and provision of the appropriate technology; collaborate in determining priorities and deliverables, monitoring service levels and evaluating against success measures, and making presentations to management (internal and client organizations).
- Responsible for providing guidance to ensure the security and integrity of data at all levels of the system.
- Manage the activities of software development life cycle including scheduling, monitoring, reporting, and coordination of product deployments
- Drive improvements in development processes and Identify project issues and facilitate resolution
- Manage all project software and technical documentation
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Informational Systems
- Strong knowledge of SQL Server 2005 / 2008 administration and optimization
- Demonstrated ability to develop system requirements and accurately estimate required
- resources., including proven background in large scale infrastructure design and management; strong computer programming skills in large health informatics environments
- Experience working with Health Programs including HMIS
- Superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams including a broad and extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods and techniques; analytical skills and
- Work well under moderate pressure, Skilled in crisis management, and problem solving.
- Experience working with and analyzing complex data systems and providing innovative solutions
- At least 10 years? experience in computerized database management
- Direct experience leading technical teams is highly desired
- Ability to achieve consensus among senior stakeholders and operational and budget management experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above
- Bemba, Kaonde, Lozi, Lunda, Luvale, Nyanja and/or Tonga desired