MSME Lead - Brazil Trade Programme - Brazil
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Brazil Trade Facilitation Programme is a 4-year, ?14 million Brazil Prosperity Fund programme. This flagship Overseas Development Aid (ODA) programme, delivered through the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), will promote inclusive trade and economic growth by (1) modernising four key Brazilian ports, and (2) connecting MSMEs to global markets, creating jobs and economic opportunities for the Brazilian poor. Specifically, the programme will improve MSME access to information, markets and skills relating to export-driven growth opportunities for Brazilian businesses. The programme will maximise the benefits for the Brazilian economy, optimise usage and allocation of existing public funds, deliver development impact in targeted regions, and create opportunities for UK businesses and investors.
The MSME Lead is a senior position in the Brazil Trade Facilitation Programme leadership team and, working closely with the Team Leader, will be responsible for developing and implementing the programme's MSME component. This role provides an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated, well-connected and experienced MSME/ trade facilitation expert to design and deliver an impactful suite of targeted interventions. Interventions will focus on increasing targeted MSME's capabilities, opportunities and motivation to grow their business by connecting to international markets and trade opportunities. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of effective MSME development in Brazil, helping companies to improve their export-related business practices and performance to drive inclusive growth.
Reporting directly to the Team Leader, the MSME lead will be responsible for:
- Setting the overall strategic vision and direction for the MSME component of the programme
- Designing a portfolio of targeted, impactful and sustainable MSME interventions in key sectors
- Leading on research and analysis and managing consortium/ implementation partners
- Overseeing the successful delivery and implementation of the MSME component
- Managing a small team of intervention managers who will support day-to-day implementation
- Build and maintain relationships/ partnerships with relevant government and MSME stakeholders
- Delivering all MSME deliverables and milestones in accordance with the schedule of work
- Working with the M&E Manager to ensure accurate monitoring and reporting on all MSME activities
- Overseeing due diligence and compliance in line with FCO and Palladium requirements
- Ensuring strong financial management, reporting and value for money for all MSME activities
- Leading on communication and marketing to promote the MSME component of the programme
- A great deal of experience in MSME/ business development in Brazil and/or other emerging economies
- A demonstrable track record of supporting MSMEs to internationalise, access global value chains and trade internationally
- Strong subject-matter, thematic, geographic and technical expertise, with excellent academic and applied skills and experience, a minimum of a Master's degree in a related field
- Sufficient leadership and management experience in a relevant role with government, private sector or international organisation focusing on MSME development/ trade
- Experienced managing a team to deliver results and working collaboratively as part of a team to deliver impact through complex programmes/ projects/ interventions
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing senior stakeholder relationships and partnerships across the public and private sector
- Sound knowledge of Brazil's market, business environment, policies, and trade programs with demonstrable experience in one/more of the following areas:
- Firm or micro level interventions which aim to build export capacities of MSMEs by improving existing, as well as stimulating the provision of new, export orientated services
- Systemic interventions targeting issues such as prohibitive logistics costs, bureaucracy, standards etc.) which prevent MSMEs from getting their products to foreign markets
- Market access interventions which aim to build MSME awareness of and facilitate access to export opportunities
Excellent communication skills (especially writing) in English and Brazilian Portuguese