Manager, Contracts and Compliance
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Manager, Contracts and Compliance reports to the Chief Compliance Officer and serves as a key member of the Contracts and Compliance team providing consultation and advice to implementing teams in HQ and field to ensure compliance with contractual and award requirements. The role will provide assistance in interpreting, applying, and ensuring compliance with contractual obligations, company policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs) and contract/award terms and conditions. The position periodically contributes to the development of policies, processes and procedures that align with best practices in Contracts and Compliance.
ResponsibilitiesAcquisition and Assistance
- Manage procurement, grant and compliance procedures and internal policies as applicable to specific donor and regional needs including USG (USAID, CDC, State Department, etc.) and Commercial contracts.
- Support field procurement; advise on compliance with company's procurement, grant making, anti-corruption and due diligence processes.
- Advise on project subcontractor / grant management procedures and ensure compliance with the company's SOPs and Guidelines and client's rules and regulations.
- Prepare, update and customize appropriate procurement, grant and other compliance templates to be used by implementing teams in HQ and field to conduct procurements, grant making and other contractual actions.
- Manage relationships with government procurement teams and partners such as subcontractors and sub-recipients.
- Review and negotiate new funding agreements and ensure that the agreements and contracts are worded clearly and that the risks in funding terms and conditions are appropriately minimized; Support generally covers the full agreement life cycle from getting an award through closeout for a portfolio of assigned projects.
- Strengthen and support contract and compliance aspects of project start-up and close out.
- Contribute to the preparation and maintenance of project specific components of the project operations manual as applicable to Contracts and Compliance.
- Liaise with and respond to requests from Project Operations staff and clients.
- Create brief compliance profiles for new and ongoing projects for reference and guidance of Program Directors and Program Operations staff, and update them as necessary.
- Responsible for registrations in client compliance systems as applicable.
- Manage records retention for assigned actions in compliance with applicable policies and client/country regulations
- Review program operations materials to ensure compliance is addressed including procurement policies, procurement selection guidance, compliance standards for program management, agreements review and negotiation process, sub-award management process, review of start-up and close out procedures, and other materials as applicable; Participate in meetings as required with Program Director, Chief of Party, and/or Team Leaders for identifying and supporting any outstanding compliance issues in the projects.
- Ensure that internal controls set out in company business processes are in place at all times; Ensure that Contracts and Compliance reports as required, on issues and risks and ensure responses to resolve issues and avoid, manage, mitigate or share risks, escalating issue and risk management if required.
- Support the external audit process and provide advice on records retention as required to be compliant with company policy; Assist with the development of policies as required to cover gaps highlighted during compliance reviews.
- Support internal project audit and systems review by conducting periodic compliance checks on processes and internal controls in projects and country offices.
- Support the Project Operations staff with annual project risk assessments and ensure cooperation with periodic special assessments, internal project audits, and systems reviews.
- Train the program and operations staff on compliance with client/donor regulations and contractual requirements.
- Act as Contracts and Compliance representative on Business Development team as required.
- Support to proposal development including preparation and review of teaming agreements, RFP/RFA analysis, representation and certifications, past performance documentation, risk mitigation, and any other requirements as necessary.
- Participate in capture planning, providing inputs on Contracts and Compliance requirements, including but not limited to the requirements for company registration, banking arrangements, and procurement considerations.
- Review and negotiate new funding agreements and assure compliance of funding terms and conditions are appropriately reflected in the sub-awards through the full agreement life-cycle.
- Provide input and support business development as required.
- Suggest, develop, or contribute to development and refinement of policies, business processes, templates, and guidance documents related to procurement, contracts, grants, and compliance with those documents.
- Assist with the development of streamlined processes, templates, checklists and other tools related to the responsibilities of the Contracts and Compliance Division.
- Strengthen, manage and support project start-ups and close-outs.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of SharePoint repository of all Contracts and Compliance material including contractual documents for the purpose of audits and senior leadership reporting.
- Support the roll-out, training, and implementation of revised processes, policies, templates and other guidance documents.
- Train the program operations and technical staff on compliance with client/donor regulations, company policies, SOPs, Guidelines, and contractual requirements.
- Bachelor's degree, Master's degree preferred, and degree in Law or paralegal background highly preferred; Contracts Management Certification desirable.
- Five to seven years' experience in managing federal (USAID and other agencies) contracts and awards, including extensive subcontract and subaward management
- Experience working with teams on large and complex projects with a high risk profile.
- Working knowledge of international business, corporate structures, and governance; sound understanding of international contracting, grant, and cooperative agreement regulations.
- Experience in commercial transaction, financial institution, or consulting environment desirable.
- Experience with FAR 15 negotiated contracts, FAR 12 commercial item contracting, GSA as well as 2 CFR 200 based assistance instruments