Manager, Research Monitoring and Evaluation
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium is searching for a Manager to join the Research Monitoring and Evaluation team to provide technical expertise to support the design and implementation of research, monitoring and evaluation activities for Palladium programmes and independent evaluations and develop methodological solutions for MEL challenges (sectors, thematic specialisms and geographical).
The primary responsibilities of the Manager, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation, are to:Provide Technical Input/Sector Expertise:
- Provide technical input into the design, planning and delivery of projects, including leading the design of a programme's theory of change and leading or supporting junior staff to establish and monitor a programme's results framework/MEL framework
- Develop and lead research and analysis on MEL for governance and private sector development programmes, working with civil society and government.
- Commission and oversee large-scale surveys for baseline/midline/endline products (including sourcing, contracting and providing quality assurance of the process, data and products)
- Provide short term inputs and/or consultancy assignments on discrete project-based work within Palladium
- Provide support to other Clusters and more junior RME colleagues to monitor and quality assure Palladium's RME products and services.
- Identify, build and maintain relationships with consultants and partners who can provide technical expertise on projects that Palladium implements.
- Work with the Head of the RME Cluster to promote and build Palladium's internal technical capability, specifically on M&E
- Design and implement original research to support M&E, programme roll out or M&E or donor requests with the goal of publishing findings
- For assigned portfolio of projects, interface with clients and other project stakeholders to plan, implement, review and report on projects as needed and requested.
- Provide support to project work planning, budgeting, progress and financial reporting.
- Provide technical support to project operations at all stages.
- Provide support as Project Director and manage the performance of Team Leaders and project teams.
- Liaise with partner organisations on the contractually compliant delivery of agreed inputs and achievement of agreed outputs and outcomes.
- Assist in identification of corporate risks with Operations Group and support implementation of risk mitigation/management measures.
- Assist in the Identification of project performance and contract issues and support their timely resolution.
- Keep abreast of political, social, economic and security developments in project countries and regions.
- Assume management responsibility for these tasks when delegated to do so.
- Support the strategic approach to business development through coordinating research on thematic issues, countries, clients, partners and competitors and also gather market intelligence on all/some of the above.
- Support the development of new and maintenance of existing client relationships through interactions with clients at a technical level during the business development cycle.
- Identify, assess and pursue new business opportunities, contributing to the analysis of Palladium's prospects for winning opportunities.
- Plan pursuits and bids.
- Prepare capability statements/expressions of interest, technical and financial proposals.
- Contribute to partner and team selection and pre-bid negotiations.
- Prepare responses to client requests for clarifications of proposals;
- Support post-submittal follow up with clients.
- Support pre-mobilisation logistics for contracts as required.
- Create and maintain business development management files.
- Maintain the currency and accuracy of new business data in corporate databases (e.g.: SharePoint, NEMO).
- Assume management responsibility for these tasks when delegated to so.
RequirementsEducation and experience
Key competencies and professional expertise
- Master's degree in a relevant field - International Development, Development studies, International Relations etc.
- Significant experience of technical monitoring, evaluation and research experience and business development experience that includes developing, implementing and managing field-based research and monitoring and evaluation systems in a developing country setting
- Experience in working in an industrialising/emerging country
- Experience working with DFID and other HMG departments
- Experience contributing to or managing at least 5-10 successful major bids (including each of or a combination of structuring bid financials, team selection, drafting technical response and partner negotiations)
Sector specific expertise required
- Excellent writing skills, with experience in report-writing for DFID (self-assessments and/or annual reports)
- Critical thinking and confidence to be creative in designing M&E solutions for governance and accountability and private sector development programmes.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to convince both direct and indirect stakeholders and work in a collaborative and constructive manner
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills
- Project management experience at the Project Director level
- Experience supporting junior colleagues in the technical delivery of their work, including mentoring and quality assurance of their work.
- Sound business development and Client Relationship Management skills, creating opportunities for new projects
- Ability to conceptualize and write a successful bid proposal
- Ability to write project reports that receive positive feedback from clients
- Willingness to travel and work abroad a minimum of eight weeks per year in developing countries and elsewhere
- Work autonomously and as a team as required
Technical expertise and experience in planning, monitoring, evaluation and research, in one or more of the following sectors and sub-specialisms.Growth and Livelihoods:
Governance and Accountability
- Private sector development
- Market systems, M4P, and/or value chains
- Voice and Accountability
- Institutional Strengthening
Salary range 50,000-60,000 GBP
Applications accepted 26/09/2019-26/10/2019