National Live Stock Technical Expert, PRISMA - Indonesia
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Australia-Indonesia Partnership for Promoting Rural Incomes through Support for Markets in Agriculture (PRISMA) is a multi-year development program working to accelerate poverty reduction through inclusive economic growth.
PRISMA adopts a market systems development approach by partnering with key-stakeholders to improve agriculture market efficiency and sustainably benefit the poor. The program aims to achieve an income increase for a total of 1,000,000 smallholder farming households by 2023. It operates in six provinces of Central Java, East Java, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), West Papua, and Papua.
Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) province has the largest population of pigs in Indonesia. However, productivity is very low compared to other areas such as Bali or Java. Pig farmers normally do traditional rearing practice with traditional feed derived from local ingredients or food waste. They also use local-low-productive breed though starting to know of hybrid variety. Animal health products are also not prevalent, with limited availability of vaccines or other supplements.
The sector now also has a major challenge with the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF) which recently confirmed and happened in several sub-districts area of Timor Leste. The ASF cases in Timor Leste appear in the sub-districts that located closely and shares borders line with Indonesia, especially the NTT province.
This will be a pre-intervention activity but may meet with potential partners in different intervention areas possible. The National Livestock Technical Expert will help assess pig market from the technical side and provide insights to the team on upstream, downstream market systems and animal health and disease.
The National livestock technical expert is expected to deliver areas of work as outlined below:
- Involved in doing Pig market assessment with the team and provide relevant advices/information on field findings, intervention areas and intervention design.
- Provide insights into upstream, downstream market systems, animal health and disease, such as: breeding system, feed composition, animal husbandry best practices, artificial inseminations, processing and abattoirs, a comparable benchmark to good practices in other countries including hog cholera and African Swine Fever.
- Liaise the team to relevant stakeholders of pig sector such as pig farmers, pig breeders, trader, butcher, processing, transportation services agent, feed and pharmaceutical agent and sub-agent, government, veterinary authority, etc. The task will also including advise and provide direction to the team on design the study and its implementation
- Proven experience in working on livestock sector related to upstream, downstream market systems, animal health and disease of pig sector.
- Strong background in analysing commodity constraints in pig sectors;
- Have a technical skill and knowledge in livestock sector, especially in Pig sectors.
- An excellent understanding of business, economics and different development approaches;
- A high level of curiosity, a critical mind, the capacity to innovate and to convince others; and
- Excellent written and verbal command of English.
- Working experience in Indonesia;