Quality and Inclusion Adviser, MDF- Papua New Guinea
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Market Development Facility (MDF) is an Australian Government-funded initiative implemented by Palladium. The goal of MDF is to create additional employment and income opportunities for poor women and men in rural and urban areas through sustainable and broad-based pro-poor growth. MDF does this by applying a Market Systems Development (MSD) approach to increase the overall competitiveness and inclusive growth of rural and urban sectors that benefits the poor. At present, MDF's activities in Timor-Leste are focused on agribusiness, tourism and manufacturing. Many of MDF's interventions involve working directly with the private sector, as well as government and non-government organisations.
MDF is a multi-country program, currently operating in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Each country has its own Country Team. All countries are supported by a central operations team. MDF also has a Core Leadership Team that provides strategic, technical and managerial oversight, and ensures effective uniformity and integration of our approach and systems across countries. Quality and Inclusion (Q&I) work across all five countries is led by a Q&I Director who is part of the Core Leadership Team. Q&I work in PNG is led by a Q&I Adviser based in Dili.
Q&I is central to MDF's implementation approach. Before approving any new intervention, MDF develops results chains outlining proposed activities, and expected outputs and outcomes. Full results measurement plans are later developed for each intervention and used to guide implementation and results measurement. All MDF technical personnel are involved in Quality and Inclusion activities.
The purpose of this position is to play a primary role supporting Quality and Inclusion work of MDF in PNG and develop capacity of the newly recruited national staff in quality and inclusion. The position will consist of short term inputs throughout the year. The Adviser's work will be centred around three areas:Monitoring and Results Measurement
Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE) and Inclusion
- Assist the QI Specialist in developing high-quality results chains and measurement plans, for each intervention and each strategic engagement area. Assist with the execution of these plans in a timely and collaborative manner.
- Mentor the QI Specialist in the DCED Standard for Results Measurement.
- Analyse progress data and suggest ways to improve sector strategies and intervention designs to the Country Director, QI Specialist and the Business Advisers.
- Prepare for and participate in strategy meetings, including six-monthly management meetings.
- Play a key role in collating, analysing and communicating data for the Annual Report.
- Assist preparation for any external audits of the results measurement system.
Strategy and Other Activities
- Support the Country Team to ensure WEE and inclusion strategies are integrated and clearly articulated in all relevant MDF documentation, including intervention guides, monitoring and assessments, strategy documents and results chains.
- Ensure that all technical staff understand inclusion strategies and actively apply them to the design, management and monitoring of partnerships.
- Support the QI Specialist to prepare research and findings on ways to promote WEE and inclusion more broadly.
- Contribute to the development of the country strategy and sector growth strategies, and assist with portfolio reviews.
- Ensure MDF PNG's management of environmental issues is consistent with MDF policy.
- Generate insights and learning that can be used as content for engagement, influencing and learning.
- Serve as a representative of Palladium, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other project employees, partners and the wider public.
- Other tasks as directed by the Q&I Director, Country Director or other representatives of Palladium.
- Relevant qualifications in economics, anthropology, sociology, agricultural sciences, international development, research or related fields.
- Experience working in this space.
- Proven qualitative and quantitative research skills, including experience with complex field research with different stakeholders.
- Strong critical analysis skills, and an ability to translate complex findings and ideas into simple, clear and actionable content.
- Good written and spoken English language skills
- Willingness to travel extensively within PNG when in-country for assessments and other research.
- Experience with Market Systems Development or a related development approach.
- Familiarity with the DCED Standard for Results Measurement.
Positions are open for national and international candidates and registered consulting organizations. For consulting organizations, they will not receive any additional management fee on top of consulting fee. We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate based on disability.