Senior Associate, CATALYZE Innovative Blended Finance Project
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
The Senior Associate will be an important member of the newly USAID-funded $250 Million CATALYZE project. CATALYZE is a DC-based, global innovative finance project which will mobilize $2 Billion in blended finance over an eight-year period. CATALYZE will serve as a "platform of platforms" that will provide services to many missions and bureaus that "buy in" to tap the CATALYZE investment and pay-for-results project management expertise.
The Senior Associate will support the technical implementation and project management of CATALYZE in a variety of ways. This role will work closely with the CATALYZE technical team to conduct research, draft written deliverables, build and maintain relationships with USAID and partners, assist with monitoring and evaluation, and enhance Palladium's overall technical delivery of the project. The Senior Associate will also work with the Project Delivery team to support project management objectives, including budgeting and financial reporting, subaward management, and fulfilling human resources needs, among others. The role reports to the Investment Specialist, CATALYZE.
Participate in and/or support technical assignments:
- Support the technical area Specialists by conducting research or data analysis for inputs and/or consultancy assignments on a variety of fields in blended finance, including education, gender, health, agriculture, or other relevant topics or specific geographies.
- Provide support in monitoring and ensuring high quality CATALYZE project deliverables (including editing, formatting, graphics development);
- Contribute to research, analysis and publication of technical reports, case studies, policy and program approaches, and results summaries on topics related to CATALYZE's activities to demonstrate thought leadership;
- Identify, build and maintain relationships with partners, subawardees, and consultants who provide technical inputs to CATALYZE;
- Work with Communications and Knowledge Management lead, in developing and expanding CATALYZE's communities of practice and learning initiatives;
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation activities in coordination with M&E lead.
Support project management outcomes:
- Support the Executive Director, Director of Finance and Administration, and other CATALYZE team members in the performance management of field teams and project offices as required;
- Interface with clients and other project stakeholders to plan, implement, review, and report on project outcomes as needed and requested;
- Provide support to CATALYZE work planning, budgeting, and progress/financial reporting;
- Work with partner organizations and subawardees on the contractually compliant delivery of agreed inputs and achievement of agreed outputs and outcomes.
- Assist with field personnel and consultant interviews and performance management, help ensure appropriate staffing resources and training for all CATALYZE activities
- The role reports to the Investment Specialist, CATALYZE
- The role will be required to liaise closely with the CATALYZE technical area Specialists (e.g. Education Finance Specialist, Gender Smart Investing Specialist), members of the Palladium Project Management Unit, a variety of home office support staff, implementing partners, and clients
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Professional experience with research and report writing in one or more of the following areas: inclusive finance, blended finance, or impact investing; payment for results models or pay-for-performance incentives; market-based approaches including Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P); challenge funds.
- Proven ability to gather data and document program activities, successes, and lessons learned with minimal supervision.
- Comfort and familiarity with representing the project/company at external events, technical working groups, and international forums.
- Field experience working in a developing country.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Previous experience with project management on government contracts and grants, using customer service skills, and/or completing tasks where high quality organizational, financial, or managerial skills was needed.
- High attention to detail and the financial acumen to interpret, analyze, and prepare detailed financial reports.
- Experience with procurements and oversight of consultants, vendors, and other partners.
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines and across time-zone challenges, while managing multiple/simultaneous priorities. Ability to travel and work in developing countries for extended periods of time if needed.
- Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required.
- Relevant sectoral experience with projects in gender-smart investing, education finance, health financing, or similar sectors.
- Direct experience on USAID contract or cooperative agreements.
- French or Spanish professional language proficiency.