Senior DevOps Engineer
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Funded under the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through a cooperative agreement with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Kenya HMIS II project supports the Kenya Ministry of Health, county governments and healthcare service delivery partners to implement technological innovations in health information systems. These innovations include the development and scale up of electronic medical records systems (EMRs) for clinical decision support and improved patient care, the development of the Kenya National Data Warehouse (NDW), a centralized data repository of data from EMRs for analysis and reporting, the development of an interoperability layer to support the exchange of da across systems, and numerous other innovations including patient identification using smart cards, informatics solutions to support health surveillance, and mHealth solutions to support data collection at the community level.
Kenya HMIS II is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer who will work closely with the HIS software solution interoperability architects to support the maturity of the microservices architecture for different solutions to achieve full automation and orchestration of tools. The Senior DevOps Engineer will also support the Dev teams to improve CI/CD tooling and support the Dev teams in ensuring that they adhere to a strict release management cadence through automation. The Senior DevOps Engineer will additionally support the Quality Assurance team to deploy open source tools for test case development and execution and develop tools for continuous monitoring of system health and security of all our technological products.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and maintain open source tools for CI/CD and testing.
- Train the Dev team in DevOps best practices to achieve continuously deployable systems.
- Implement and improve monitoring and alerts across the suite of HIS products by automating performance monitoring, reporting any downtimes and carrying out root cause analysis.
- Develop the tooling to support microservices orchestration.
Skills and abilities
- Extensive DevOps experience including case handling and resolution, platform security, programming and scripting (Bash, Perl, Python, Java), server management (Linux, Windows, UNIX), and database scripting (SQL, NoSQL and distributed databases).
- Extensive device management experience on platform health monitoring, reporting, scripting, data-mining, and business intelligence.
- Excellent understanding and deployment of virtualization and containerization technologies.
- Understanding of DevOps pipeline impact on product management and user experience (UX).
- Extensive experience in system and data migration for mission critical technologies.
- Minimum of 5 years of Linux and Windows administration experience for mission critical systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with system databases (SQL and NoSQL) at Enterprise level.
- Experience with a variety of programming and scripting languages and frameworks, including but not limited to Java, SOAP (XML), REST (HTTP), Bash and Python.
- Understanding of Device Management Protocols and Device Library Specifications for remote device upgrade or fault management and log aggregation tools.
- Experience in engaging closely with solution architects and operations teams to deliver highly available and scalable services with minimal/zero downtime.
- Demonstrable experience with Application, Infrastructure Delivery Automation, Orchestration, Configuration Management and Testing tools.
- Experience in driving ongoing improvements and efficiencies in operational practices, tools & processes.
- Ability to communicate directly with peers, managers, and clients while leading development to a completed and successful solution.
Other Key Information
- BSc. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field (such as Telecommunications or IT).
- At least five (5) years of professional experience directly supporting the development, operations, maintenance and/or security of mission critical systems.
- Training on Lean or Six Sigma is preferred.
- The role is highly deliverable-based and allows for flexible working hours under negotiated Level of Effort (LoE).