Senior Manager, Internal Controls - Washington, DC
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
For assigned areas of responsibility, the Senior Manager, Internal Controls serves as part of the Project Excellence and Risk Management team. This team is responsible, under the management of the Director for the
oversight of project management. The specific purpose of the position is to provide quality assurance for audits, internal controls, and related processes and procedures.
ResponsibilitiesMonitoring, Enforcing, and Improving Internal Controls
Risk Management and Project Support
- Oversee and support all audits of Palladium Americas' projects and indirect cost audits, in close partnership with the project management units (PMUs) and Contracts and Compliance team.
- Support Accounting team with corporate and entities audits, if required.
- In collaboration with the Contracts and Compliance team, provide day to day guidance to PMU staff on client contracts and contractual matters involving internal controls.
- Oversee and conduct periodic spot checks to ensure that internal controls set out in accordance with Palladium's policies and procedures and clients' regulations are in place at all times.
- Help refine or create tools, processes, or procedures for the team's work based on best practices, existing tools and resources, and Palladium's policies and procedures.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and recommend corrective actions, as well as best practices, based on trends and findings from audits.
- Resolve internal and external issues/problems related to internal controls across areas of responsibilities, and all special assignments given by the team Director in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Project Excellence, Contracts and Compliance, Risk Management, Finance, and other relevant teams to advise and educate on internal controls and audit related matters. This could include giving trainings or advising on training content for both HQ and field audiences.
- Assist with maintenance of Internal Risk Portal, coordinating reporting with PMUs and consolidating monthly reports for Partners and Global Risk Management Teams
- Review audit findings, CPARS, and other appraisal reports to identify common challenges with internal controls across the organization and develop replicable solutions for resolving them. Incorporate those solutions into the continuous improvement cycle.
- Serve as a member of the 'bench' to perform investigations, internal reviews, or other in-depth risk management activities as needed.
- Provide support to start-up and closeout activities as needed.
- Prepare briefings on lessons learned, case studies of challenges, and reminders on best practices; summarize information to be shared through business management notices and periodic newsletters to staff.
Leadership and Staff Management
- Advise on business development as it relates to internal controls, helping proposal teams consider staffing or other management structures and programming choices that reflect best practices for segregation of duties and other internal management measures.
- Contribute to strategic planning, capture, and proposal writing processes, including participating on scoping trips, as needed.
- Work closely with Regional and Global Risk Management teams, Contracts and Compliance, Human Resources, Financial Management, Accounting, and Practice Areas to develop and manage robust mechanisms for internal controls.
- Build effective relationships with colleagues at all levels and across all practice areas through open communications and constructive feedback.
- Conduct appraisals for direct reports, setting personal objectives and learning plans and providing constructive feedback to assist with professional growth.
- Contribute to development of, and adhere to, an annual work plan.
The role reports to Director, Project Excellence to ensure consistent standards across all of Palladium's projects in their respective lifecycles.
- Attendance at all weekly team meetings as required
- Regular updates with head of Operations, Risk Management and Chief Compliance Officer
- Monthly submission of assigned reports
- Exception reports as and when required
- The role will form part of the Compliance and Risk Management Framework and will be required to liaise closely with the Finance Team, Chief Compliance Officer, Director of Project Excellence, Project Managers and Directors, Project Operations, and other Company employees
- The role will be required to analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager
- The role will also be expected to contribute to process improvement through innovative ideas/suggestions
- Extensive Knowledge of US Government regulations and compliance requirements, including expertise in audits
- Demonstrated working knowledge of various types of contracts (such as CPFF, T&M, and FFP) in addition to grants and cooperative agreements
- Strong analytical skills to successfully perform financial reviews, determination of responsibility and other forms of qualitative analysis
- Extensive experience in developing and implementing policies and procedures related to all areas of contract/award compliance and audit
- Extensive expertise in conducting training and mentoring, developing of staff both in the United States and overseas
- Ability to analyse financial data and prepare reports
- Above average business acumen and administration skills
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Good organizational and planning skills
- High standard of written and verbal communication skills