Senior Technical Advisor, Malaria Surveillance-Tanzania
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium is bidding on an upcoming USAID proposal that will focus on strengthening malaria surveillance and improve targeting of vector control interventions across transmission zones in Tanzania. The Technical Lead, Malaria Surveillance will work closely with the COP, Technical Lead for Vector Control and other project staff. Under the supervision of the COP, the Technical Lead, Malaria Surveillance will be responsible for program management oversight, timely implementation of malaria surveillance and response system, routine health information system strengthening and associated capacity building and operational research activities in close collaboration with stakeholders and partners.
- Implementation of malaria surveillance and response system
- Ensure that required protocols are developed, training is conducted, and smooth field implementation, data quality assessment and supportive supervision are regularly conducted
- Ensure that protocols developed for analysis of malaria data quality and use is documented and discussed with NMCP and other relevant stakeholders
- Routine health information system strengthening
- Improve malaria data quality and use through the routine health information system
- Capacity building and operational research activities
- Ensure that any relevant protocols related to operational research activities are submitted to the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) ethical review committee and other Institutions, such as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC/Tanzania) for approval, as needed
- Contribute to preparation of project performance reports, writing of technical reports and scientific papers for presentation in scientific meetings and publishing in various journals
- Program management oversight including participation in field supervision, monitoring of activities and coordinating needed assistance to ensure smooth implementation
- Perform any other duties as assigned by COP and supervisor
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline (MBA, MD, MPH, PhD) from an accredited academic institution
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in public health, including at least 5 years of malaria surveillance experience
- Ability to use advanced database and statistical analysis software (SAS, STATA, Epi Info, SPSS, etc.)
- Direct experience with malaria disease surveillance, programmatic surveillance and transmission surveillance
- Direct experience creating evidence for informed policy decisions on malaria control interventions
- Direct experience with HMIS/DHIS2, LMIS, MIS, preferably in Tanzania
- Ability to achieve consensus among senior stakeholders and operational and budget management experience
- Direct experience leading technical teams is highly desired
- Advanced skills in M&E and experience designing monitoring and evaluation plans, designing, implementing and supervising data collection activities also desired
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills