Social Media Officer, Australia Awards in Africa - Pretoria
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Australia Awards in Africa is a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)-funded initiative designed: (i) to equip Africans with the skills and knowledge necessary to influence the economic and social development outcomes of their own countries; and (ii) to build the long-term capacity of African partners to progress towards their development objectives.
Australia Awards-Africa provides a mix of long and short-term scholarships to Africans in the public, civil society and private sectors in targeted disciplines that support the home countries' developmental priorities.
Develop and re-purpose communications products including success stories, newsletter features, case studies, videos for distribution on social media.
ResponsibilitiesDuration: up to 31 March 2020
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Duties and responsibilities:
Gender Equality and Social Inclusion:
- Develop and distribute high quality brand-compliant social media content according to the agreed timeframe
- Distribute content which resonates with audience and positions Australia Awards-Africa according to DFAT's objectives
- Repurpose content from DFAT Post's pages and Africa Connect that aligns to the Australia Awards objectives
- Repurpose communications output (success stories, features, international days and alumni/scholar profiles) into social media content for Post specific packages
- Update the website and Africa Connect according to the master story plan
- Create and manage editorial calendars and syndication schedules
- Advise the program working group on the applicability of the content for digital platforms
- Produce, edit and customize text and audiovisual content for the website, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- Set up and optimize social media pages within each platform to increase the visibility of Australia Awards social content
- Regularly update social media pages' information and pictures
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with Australia Awards/DFAT guidelines
- Review designs for errors before sharing, printing or publishing them
- Liaise with external suppliers to produce content as necessary
- Collect analytics and report content performance to management and make appropriate content adjustments for continuous improvement
- Advise the management team on ways in which the program objectives could be optimised through digital channels and recommends modifications to the Social Media plan
- Assist in refining and evolving user experience standards on all Australia Awards digital platforms
Australia Awards-Africa is committed to supporting inclusive development practices across all program activities. Social inclusion is an umbrella term adopted by Australia Awards to refer to gender equality, disability inclusion and HIV support. Among your roles, you will be expected to implement and embed inclusive development practices within your work activity. You will be expected to demonstrate sensitivity to issues of social inclusion, and especially as you engage with candidates, awardees, alumni and other stakeholders.Other duties:
- Travel within Africa, often at short notice to support carry out promotional work and/or support key public diplomacy events on a needs basis
- Assist with procurement of promotional materials
- Photography during events
- Report all suspected and/or detected fraud within 24 hours of discovery and in accordance with DFAT's Fraud Policy and the Palladium Fraud Risk Assessment and Management Plan
- Compile and share industry and/or country-specific knowledge with team
- Any other ad-hoc duties as directed by the Communications Manager
- Undergraduate degree in information design, web design, marketing and communications or another related field
- At least 4 - 6 years relevant work experience in web publishing, graphic design, multimedia, or related industry required (Portfolio required)
- Proven working experience in social media marketing or as a digital media specialist
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge
- Experience working with WordPress and related plugins
- Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of major marketing channels
- Knowledge of social media management platforms like Hootsuite
- Knowledge of email marketing services like MailChimp
- Excellent skills in MS Office applications, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Good video, photo and audio editing skills
- Strong writing (web-oriented, creative), editing, and proofreading skills
- Good multitasking and organisational ability
- Natural collaborator who participates effectively in a team-based, information sharing environment
- Experience working in international development or not-for-profit sector
- Adequate knowledge of web design, web development, CRO (conversion rate optimisation) and SEO (search engine optimisation)
- Creative, with good layout skills and graphic design knowledge
- Proven ability to produce compelling, easy-to-consume digital and print content
- Knowledge and experience developing cohesive brand experiences
- French or Portuguese language skills
- Interpreting data from reports/projects (e.g. statistical awareness) to create infographics
Successful candidates must have established rights to work in South Africa.