Sr Health Finance and Governance Advisor – Dem Rep of Congo Int Health Project
Company OverviewPalladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RolePalladium is seeking a DRC-based Senior Health Finance and Governance Advisor to lead governance and finance activities for an upcoming USAID-funded bid, DRC Integrated Health Project (IHP). The purpose of the IHP is to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of Congolese citizens. The Senior Health Finance and Governance Advisor will be responsible for leading the health finance and governance activities for the IHP and all related technical activities. Activities will include: contributing to annual workplans and strategies, supervising sub-national staff, and providing oversight and technical leadership on health finance, governance and health systems strengthen activities. The technical areas of expertise include in-depth knowledge of DRC?s political, social and health context, financing and resource mobilization mechanisms, public health financial management, results-based financing, health governance, human resources for health, strategic planning and stakeholder engagement (public, private and civil society). The advisor should have a strong health background and be familiar with different disease specific areas such as family planning, tuberculosis, maternal and child health, WASH and nutrition.
- Ensures the inclusion of stewardship, accountability, and transparency in all assessments, studies and interventions;
- Ensures technical excellence of project interventions and leads the learning agenda around policy and community-level governance;
- Develops and provides technical input into project governance technical offerings;
- Introduces techniques to ensure that governance, stewardship, accountability, and transparency do not serve as barriers to access to health services and supplies;
- Develops, revises, and implements governance analytic tools and guidance, including Political Economy Analyses.
- Ensures the technical excellence of all aspects of health financing, financial management, economics, resource mobilization and strategic planning across all the technical domains of the project;
- Has overall responsibility for design and implementation of health financing aspects of the project, including modeling and research;
- Uses various quantitative and qualitative techniques to conduct costing exercises, policy analyses and other assessments;
- Responsible for the development of activity-specific work plans and budgets
- Provides supportive supervision to sub-national health finance and governance advisors
- Maintains strong relationships with USAID, the Ministry of Health and other partners
- Master's Degree or higher in political science, social sciences, international development, economics or health economics, or a related advanced degree;
- At least 8 years of experience designing, implementing and managing large, complex public health projects in/for developing countries, of which at least 5 years have been spent addressing governance and/or finance in the health arena;
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of developing country policy environments, with a strong focus on FP/RH and HIV/AIDS;
- Demonstrated leadership capacity, strategic vision, and ability to effectively build and sustain positive working relationships and partnerships with donor agencies, host country governments, and partners, particularly in DRC;
- Demonstrated expertise in development and execution of economic analyses, health finance policy and systems analyses, costing assessments, cost-effectiveness studies, unit costing of health interventions, expenditure surveys, feasibility or policy analyses for community-based and social health insurance programs and results-based financing programs;
- Experience supporting governments, civil society and community groups to implement accountability and transparency strategies to ensure strong governance
- Proven success in implementing governance and finance programs for USAID projects;
- Strong facilitation, problem solving, analytic, and evaluative skills;
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills in French and English;
- Proficiency in both French and English.