Team Lead - Business Analysis & Scrum Master
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Funded under the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through a cooperative agreement with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Kenya HMIS II project supports the Kenya Ministry of Health, county governments and healthcare service delivery partners to implement technological innovations in health information systems. These innovations include the development and scale up of electronic medical records systems (EMRs) for clinical decision support and improved patient care, the development of the Kenya National Data Warehouse (NDW), a centralized data repository of data from EMRs for analysis and reporting, the development of an interoperability layer to support the exchange of da across systems, and numerous other innovations including patient identification using smart cards, informatics solutions to support health surveillance, and mHealth solutions to support data collection at the community level.
Kenya HMIS II is looking for a Team Lead - Business Analysis & Scrum Master to work with the Program Manager to transition the project teams to agile and lean thinking through the disciplined application of Scrum Principles and Processes. S/he will be responsible for leading the BA team to conduct data and requirements analysis while working with the UX Specialist to establish a robust user centered design strategy. S/he will lead through example to ensure that teams collaborate around a common vision of fulfilling user requirements. S/he will assist the Program Manager to coordinate Daily Stand-up Meetings, Sprint Demos and Retrospectives in addition to validating team performance metrics, and co-facilitating Scrum of Scrums to promote collaboration. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all user requirements, requested enhancements and reported bugs are accurately captured, validated and prioritized into the portfolio backlog, product backlogs and comprehensively logged as Epics, Features, Stories and Tasks on Jira.
- Work with Program Manager, Tech Leads, QA Lead and Stakeholder Engagement Lead to conduct release planning and to develop deployment schedules.
- Manage User Stories at a portfolio level and ensure that they are sufficiently documented with clear acceptance criteria and that they are traceable to sprint backlogs.
- Facilitate Review sprints with Product Owners and other stakeholders to secure approval and acceptance from the Product Owners, and Retrospect sprints to capture lessons learned and actionable improvements applicable to future sprints.
- Champion the Voice of the User by supporting different teams in the consistent application of quality-focused software development and information product development approaches such as Behavior Driven Development, Acceptance Test Driven Development and CI/CD practices.
- Train and mentor project team members on agile techniques.
Skills and abilities
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on experience working in a scrum team environment
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a Business Analyst, Business Process Analyst or Scrum Master in a technical, data driven environment
- Minimum 3 years of experience leading scrum teams overseeing the end-to-end design, development and implementation of software solutions or the development of information products
- Experience with successful Agile techniques such as User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing etc
- Excellent skills and knowledge of servant leadership, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Logical and lean thinking
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer service orientation
Other Key Information
- Bachelor's Degree IT or a related field
- Professional training in Agile Methodologies: Scrum preferred
- Training on Lean or Six Sigma is preferred
- Local travel within Kenya will be required for user research as necessary
- The role is highly deliverable-based and allows for flexible working hours under negotiated Level of Effort (LoE)