Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Propcom Mai-Karfi is a DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in Northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi recently was awarded a 3 years extension (2018-2021) with particular focus on the North East (NE) States and 3 North West states- Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states. The aim is to influence INGOs in the NE states to shift from humanitarian to development and to implement market recovery and systems development programmes across the targeted states.
PM has been facilitating activities to improve poultry/livestock health, poultry production and marketing among rural poor farmers.
Ongoing interventions is focused on;
- Expanding commercial access to affordable veterinary products and services through a network of community animal health workers (CAHW).
- Generate demand for veterinary services through expanded networks of community vaccinators (VBV) and vaccination campaigns.
- Facilitate capacity building trainings for poultry and livestock producers
- Strengthen and support local chicken aggregation for identified processor
- Strengthen market linkages for smallholders
To engage the services of a Supply Chain Analyst to undertake a systematic review and value chain mapping of the livestock and animal health market in Nigeria with the aim of identifying intervention nodes and points of leverage in Propcom target States - Taraba, Gombe, Bauchi, Yobe, Adamawa, Borno, Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa.
- Review of literature on the livestock and animal health situation in Nigeria
- Work with Propcom State officers to identify the animal production and trade corridor (local and international)
- Map out the value chain for small ruminants, with the attendant costs and challenges with location-specific information
- Map out the veterinary supply chain system in Propcom target States and identify barriers to last mile delivery of quality and affordable products and services
- Identify ongoing interventions - public, private and donor-driven and estimated impact
Deploy emails, telephone and field activities.
1. Where necessary, utilise PM database for activity planning and engaging with relevant stakeholders.
2. Use information on public domains during offsite activities and desk-work in PM office.
3. Work with Propcom State officers to generate location-specific data
4. Field visits for data collection (all road trips need to be pre-approved)
5. Stakeholder meetings (Private sector and Public sector actors)Outputs
Activity ScheduleVenue(s), timing and duration of assignment
- Livestock and Animal Health Market Report, highlighting the general challenges to the growth of the sector, and specific barriers in PM's target States and opportunities for intervention - indicating the intervention nodes and leverage points.
- The Report should also include livestock value chain and veterinary supply chain maps.
The maximum days for this assignment is 20 days, and assignment to be completed within a six-week period. S/he will report directly to the Market Manager responsible for the Livestock Market.Reporting
The final report will be in PM specified format with annexes of attendance, pictures and supportive data.Reporting format
- The activity(ies)
- Identified constraints and suggested solutions
- Action steps
Qualification and Expertise35Related experience40Fee rate10References15 Total Score100
- Veterinary or animal health professional.
- Livestock and/or veterinary sales and marketing experience.
- Good communication and reporting skills.
- Willingness to travel to Propcom's target states.
- Proficiency in the Hausa language will be an added advantage.
Interested consultants can should send their Resume and cover letter, clearly stating their suitability for the assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org
on or before close of business on Wednesday 22nd March, 2019 by 5pm.
The Services will be delivered over 20 days period which is subject to performance as determined by Propcom Mai-karfi.