Investment Lead - Ghana Jobs & Economic Transformation
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium is seeking an Investment Lead for an exciting upcoming DFID funded programme in Ghana. The programme is DFID Ghana's flagship investment-led job creation programme that will help Ghana transition away from aid dependence in line with the GoG "Ghana beyond Aid" strategy. It seeks to leverage increased investments into the manufacturing and industrial sectors, and introduce new technology and management capabilities, increasing the capabilities of the workforce generating formal employment and economic diversification. This will be done through 4 components: 1) industrial policy development; 2) investment promotion and facilitation for investors in four or five target sectors (as defined under the GoG Ten-Point Plan); 3) increasing engagement of domestic firms in sectors attracting investment; and 4) addressing enabling environment gaps around investments.
The Investment Lead will be heading up the investment promotion and facilitation component of the JET programme. The Investment Lead will be responsible for leading the team working on transactions and investments across Ghana, including leading on management of the CRM/tracking system, the Payment by Results calculations for the volumes and value of transactions.Location:
Among other activities, the Investment Lead will:
- Lead on interaction with state governments, ministries and departments to develop and implement best practice investor-community interactions
- Support the development of a business enabling environment, to address barriers to pro-poor commercial activities and ensure regulatory protection of the vulnerable
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development services to both federal and state investment promotion agencies
- Guide and support beneficiaries towards formalisation and investment readiness
- Relevant academic qualifications or solid experience in financial modelling with a blue chip investment firm
- A significant amount of experience in business in an investment/consultancy role advising primarily private sector clients or working with a multinational business
- Significant experience in:
- Facilitating foreign direct investment transactions, of which at least 2 transactions must be with a multinational making an investment of more than ?20m each (preferably into a developing country)
- Advising multinational enterprises on business plans, locations and strategy across a broad range of sectors including agribusiness, and in a rage of geographies
- Advice to multinational enterprises on location and set up in new countries including around issues of land, tax, customs, workers' rights and regulation
- Must be familiar with complex issues of tax (including corporation tax, VAT, transfer pricing and trade issues), customs, leases, trade and accounting
- Experience in joint ventures, M&A and supply chain issues
- Experience in managing a team of advisers
Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience with both Asian and African (multinational) manufacturers
- Experience and networks with key FDI origin countries in Asia, Europe and the Americas
- Experience with multinational FDI in developing countries
- Experience working for donor/development related programmes (not necessarily with DFID)
- Experience working for business i.e. client side
- Experience working in/with Investment Promotion Agencies or equivalents
- Exposure and experience of non-traditional FDI
- Experience in smaller ticket investment, such as franchising, venture capital/private equity, angel funding and/or SME finance
- Ghana experience