MDF PNG Technical Adviser(MSD)
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
At MDF, our teams work with businesses, associations and governments in Asia Pacific to help farmers and workers thrive. We use a market systems (MSD) approach to achieve long-term, lasting growth and create sustainable jobs for poor women and men.
Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE) is central to our work on the ground, and our teams in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan are dedicated to ensuring that our activities benefit women and girls.
MDF is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swisscontact.
In Papua New Guinea (PNG), MDF aims to foster broad-based growth beyond the resource sector, focusing on agricultural and economic diversification.Role:
The position will be responsible for providing strategic guidance to the MDF PNG management team on the PNG portfolio and developing capacity of the PNG country team in market systems.
The Technical Advisor (MSD) functions as an integral part of the MDF PNG management team, helping develop the right organizational culture and development ethos. The position will play a pivotal role in building the capacity of the Country Team in MSD approaches to stimulating pro-poor growth. Under the guidance of the Country Director (CD), the Technical Adviser (MSD) will be involved in communications and maintaining relations with other stakeholders as directed by the CD. S/he is a member of the extended MDF Leadership Team and the relevant MDF country working groups.
Staff development and mentoring:
- Collaborate with the Country Director to ensure accurate and timely administrative and financial management of the partnership portfolio, including budgeting, forecasting and tracking of partnership activity funds.
- Ensure timely development and review of Partnership Justifications, Partnership Agreements and any required ongoing amendments.
- Support the development and management of a portfolio of interventions to generate pro-poor growth to achieve MDF's development objectives.
- Drive the development of sector growth strategies and ensure that all interventions have a clearly demonstrated link to these strategies.
- Identify and negotiate with potential partners in the private and public sector in the pursuit of the program's strategic objectives.
- Support Country Director in developing country strategy and conducting portfolio analysis.
- Mentor the Country Team (CT) in market systems development approach in developing partnerships in line with the program's strategic objectives.
- Mentor the Country Team in networking and negotiating deal with private and public sector partners.
For detailed TORs click
- A degree in economics, anthropology/sociology, agricultural sciences, international development, research or related fields.
- Excellent critical analysis, synthesis and English language skills (written and spoken), combined with the ability to translate complex findings and ideas into simple, clear and actionable content.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated capacity to constructively engage with DFAT, development partners and stakeholders.
- Willingness to work in a challenging environment and travel extensively within PNG.
Applications should include a response to the position requirements. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single document. This is LTA position with DFAT ARF classification D1.