SME Lead - Ghana Jobs & Economic Transformation
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium is seeking a SME Lead for an exciting upcoming DFID funded programme in Ghana. The programme is DFID Ghana's flagship investment-led job creation programme that will help Ghana transition away from aid dependence in line with the GoG "Ghana beyond Aid" strategy. It seeks to leverage increased investments into the manufacturing and industrial sectors, and introduce new technology and management capabilities, increasing the capabilities of the workforce generating formal employment and economic diversification. This will be done through 4 components: 1) industrial policy development; 2) investment promotion and facilitation for investors in four or five target sectors (as defined under the GoG Ten-Point Plan); 3) increasing engagement of domestic firms in sectors attracting investment; and 4) addressing enabling environment gaps around investments.
The SME Lead acts as the central point of contact for the third component around increasing engagement of domestic firms in sectors attracting investment in Ghana. The SME Lead will be responsible for identifying local firms with growth potential and capability of attracting additional investors, for strengthening the supply chain through providing assistance in business development and technology innovation for domestic firms and brokering links with facilitated investments, including from UK business and UK development finance institutions.
- Lead on the design and delivery of the strategy based around the SME involvement and market linkages component of JET
- Identify local firms with growth potential and capability and which have the potential to both raise incomes for the poor, and attract investment into target sectors
- Connect multinationals and larger businesses, including UK companies, to credible local suppliers (SMEs)
- Improve local suppliers' access to skills, tenders and finance to build long-term capacity
- Contribute to the improvement of the investment climate and quality of policy discussions in and across the target sectors
- Promote SMEs export capacities and access to regional and global markets
- Oversee and supervise the work of component staff and consultants as required
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all component activities, outputs and deliverables
Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Educated to university degree level or above, preferably holding a Master's degree
- At least 7 years' experience working on international development projects, preferably with a focus on SME and or private sector development
- At least 3 years' experience in a management / leadership role, preferably within international development projects
- Demonstrated track record of supporting the identification, piloting and scale up of cross cutting pro-poor private sector market linkages that have increased the competitiveness, productivity and inclusiveness of multiple value chains
- Good understanding of governance, public administration and key private sector players in Ghana
- Experience working with donor (preferably DFID) funded programmes
- Strong experience in managing teams
- Ghana experience