Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Propcom Mai-Karfi is a six year DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities for increased employment and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in northern Nigeria. It now has a three-year extension 2018-2021 to work in a reduced number of states from mid 2018:
Tier 1 (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe);
Tier 2 (Gombe, Taraba and Bauchi) and
Partnership states (Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa)
Generating financial reports and accounts for the programme in line with Department for International Development and Palladium International Ltd policies, guidelines and standards.SCOPE OF WORK
The Senior Finance Manager will be responsible for supporting the Finance and Administration Manager in ensuring proper programme accounting systems in line with DFID and Palladium International Ltd guidelines; providing 'checking support' for all programme related transactions ahead of disbursement of funds and reconciling the same for the programme activities and disbursements. The Senior Finance Manager will also, when necessary, provide support to the Finance and Administration Manager on all programme contracting issues.
The Propcom Mai-karfi staff work as an integrated team. In addition to the major focus on finance and contract related issues, the Senior Finance Manager will be expected to contribute to other aspects of the programme as designated by the Finance and Administration ManagerSPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Finance Manager will support the Finance and Administration manager with the following:
- Check all payments and receipts into or out of accounts before they are made.
- Ensure that all expenditures are properly numbered and coded to appropriate markets and activities - checking that appropriate transaction forms are being used.
- Ensure that expenditures are properly described (within character limits, number of units and that cost categories clearly identifiable).
- Ensure the accurate posting of all expenditures in the cash/bank books on a weekly basis
- Ensure bank reconciliation statements are taken every week and that balanced figures are sent to the FAM along with weekly cash/bank books.
- Maintain an appropriate recurrent payments register for monthly or regular payments
- Ensure that staff budgets for traveling and other expenditure are properly and timely funded and that all travel advance forms are checked in line with programme financial guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate reimbursements are made following trips and funds release.
- Balance amounts on all advance records with the cash officer and the cash/book figures.
- Vet all cash and bank vouchers appropriately.
- Ensure timely dissemination of journals in the case of re-codes and that re-codes are promptly made and sent to the Palladium office.
- Maintain a ledger listing for all expenditures and report same weekly to the FAM
- Manage the filing and archiving of all programme expense documentation ensuring the existence of a clear audit trail
- Prepare programme payslips ahead of monthly salary payments.
- Collate and send all necessary programme staff times-heets to Palladium by the end of every month ensuring the availability of supporting documents for all work done outside approved hours.
- Responsible for reporting on all programme accounting operations
- Ensure strict staff compliance to all programme accounting and finance manuals
- Ensure that proper procedures on Grants are followed and that all the documentations are completed and cross checked in line with set standards before payments are made to partners
- Assist with the analysis of expenditure and forecast expenditure, including liaison with technical staff
- Develop funds transfer requests
- Assist with the value for money data analysis systems and requests and other ad hoc data or systems requirements
- Act as the "go to" person for any questions on timesheets
The Senior Finance Officer will report to the Finance and Administration Manager or his/her Designee as designated by the Team Leader or Director Operations.
S/he will also be expected to work closely with the Market teams and Results measurement teams on intervention activities and budgets ensuring due process is followed and that a clear audit trail is left following each activity/intervention. The Senior Finance Manager will also be expected to work closely with other members of the Administrative team.
The Senior Finance Manager will also be expected to establish and maintain relationships with key account officers in the various banks through whom the programme financial transactions take place
RequirementsCOMPETENCIES Definition of levelsLevel 1
- Basic competency to function within the job areaLevel 2
- Intermediate competency to function within the job areaLevel 3
- Full competency to function within the job areaCommunication:
Effectively communicates by actively listening and sharing information with relevant internal and/or external colleagues and stakeholders using a variety of appropriate communication tools and channels to enable better understanding; adjusts communication style and tone according to the audience and occasion. Proactively disseminates both verbal and written information in a timely and understandable manner. Expected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Oral and written Communication: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Use of Communication Tools: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Reporting: Behavioural proficiency level 2Professionalism:
Achieves satisfactory levels of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertiseExpected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Technical Expertise: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Organisational Understanding: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Continuous Professional Development: Behavioural proficiency level 2Team Working:
Shares and articulates team vision and demonstrates that by working co-operatively with a positive attitude across cultural and organisational boundaries to achieve shared goals; Treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanour and values the contribution of others.Expected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Interpersonal Skills: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Building effective relationships: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Customer support: Behavioural proficiency level 2Results and Achievement Oriented
: Focusing personal efforts on achieving results consistent with the programme's objectivesExpected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Achievement: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Problem Analysis: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Innovation: Behavioural proficiency level 2Prioritisation and Personal Effectiveness
: Establishes and maintains mechanisms that enable the prompt and accurate delivery on assigned tasks and activitiesExpected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Attention to Detail: Behavioural proficiency level 3
Prioritisation and Planning: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Initiative: Behavioural proficiency level 3Cross Cultural Sensitivity
: Demonstrates an open-minded approach to understanding people regardless of their gender, age, race, national origin, religion, ethnicity, disability status, or other characteristics; treats all people fairly and consistently; effectively works with people from diverse backgrounds by treating them with dignity and respectExpected Behavioural Proficiency Levels
Cultural Awareness: Behavioural proficiency level 2
Diversity: Behavioural proficiency level 2ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
The Senior Finance Manager should have;
- A degree or similar qualification and ability to read, write and speak English fluently;
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in an accounting role;
- Previous experience providing financial support in a busy international team